Not everything that counts can be counted.
Not everything that is valuable has a price.
RE concentrates on the things that really count, matter and are truly valuable.
RE enables pupils to have a greater understanding of themselves, the world and the people
How do we teach RE?
RE teaching is based on the Cornwall agreed syllabus 2020. We develop children’s knowledge and understanding of some of the major world faiths by exploring the beliefs, values and traditions of Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism. In accordance with requirements, 60% of RE time each year is spent studying Christianity and the remaining 40% learning about the other religions. R.E. is delivered through integration into class topic work and discrete R.E lessons as well as through assemblies. Through the use of IT, educational visits, artefacts and workshops with members of different faiths, we enhance our children’s understanding of our multicultural society and encourage respect and sensitivity towards other people and their beliefs
RE is for all pupils
· Every pupil has a legal entitlement to RE.
· RE is a necessary part of a ‘broad and balanced curriculum’ and must be provided for all registered pupils in state-funded schools in England.
RE is locally determined, not nationally.
A locally agreed syllabus is a statutory syllabus for RE, recommended by a local standing advisory committee for RE (SACRE) for adoption by a local authority.
RE is compulsory for all pupils in academies and free schools as set out in their funding agreements. This is a contractual responsibility. Academies may use their locally agreed syllabus, a different locally agreed syllabus (with the permission of the SACRE concerned) or may devise their own curriculum.
RE is multifaith, and recognises the place of Christianity and the other principal religions in the UK. Non-religious worldviews are included.
The RE curriculum, drawn up by a SACRE or used by an academy or free school, ‘shall reflect the fact that the religious traditions in Great Britain are in the main Christian, while taking account of the teaching and practices of the other principal religions represented in Great Britain’. Contemporary guidance from the Government makes clear that the breadth of RE will include the six principal religions of the UK and non- religious worldviews over the course of a child’s full academic journey.
Parental right of withdrawal from RE
This was first granted in 1944 when curricular RE was called ‘Religious Instruction’ and carried with it connotations of induction into the Christian faith. RE is very different now – open, broad and exploring a range of religious and non-religious worldviews. In the UK, parents still have the right to withdraw their children from RE on the grounds that they wish to provide their own RE. This provision will be the parents’ responsibility. This right of withdrawal exists for all pupils in all types of school, including schools with and without a religious designation. Parents also have the right to withdraw their child from part of RE and can do so without giving any explanation.
Any requests to withdraw a child from RE must be put in writing to the Head of School but we do encourage you to have a conversation with us about your concerns first.
What difference does learning about RE make?